Rusthall Parish Council
Short History of Rusthall
Rusthall is a thriving village in Kent, located just less than 2 miles (3.2 km) west of Tunbridge Wells town centre, and is separated from the area of Tunbridge Wells by Rusthall Common. Local amenities include a post office, St Paul's Primary school, two churches, a library, various shops, two cafes, three take away and four pubs, two church halls and two village halls and the Rusthall Club.Rusthall also has a popular Football Club , a Cricket Club and the Rusthall Village Association. It has a frequent bus Service into Tunbridge Wells (281).
The first known mention of Rusthall and Speldhurst is in a grant of lands to Diora, Bishop of Rochester in the 8th century. During the 17th century, lodging houses appeared in Rusthall to accommodate visitors to the newly discovered chalybeate spring at The Pantiles. The name "Rusthall" is from the Anglo-Saxon Ruste uuelle, meaning the well contains a high level of natural iron like the chalybeate springs in Tunbridge Wells.
During the 18th century, Rusthall fell out of favour, following the emergence of Tunbridge Wells town, which could now offer ample accommodation closer to the waters. Following this shift in popularity, some Rusthall houses, which had been built on moveable sledges, were wheeled to be relocated to the more fashionable Mount Sion area of Tunbridge Wells.
Rusthall originally formed part of Speldhurst civil parish when it was formed in 1894.
Four years later, Tunbridge Wells Borough Council took control over Rusthall.
On 23 February 2011, Tunbridge Wells Borough Council agreed that Rusthall should become a civil parish and have its own parish council. The first Rusthall Parish Council election took place on 5 May 2011. At the 2011 UK census, the Rusthall electoral ward had a population of 4,976 in 2,076 households.